<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Random rants and occasional raves on life outside metropolitan Finland.

Tuesday, July 01, 2003

The flu, part two.



I always get one. The summer flu. Last year, though, I had it December, in Brazil. I came home one day early from Haapajärvi last week because I was feeling like shit. Friday was the worst, Saturday and Sunday I felt like it would pass, and then, boom, it hits me in the head with a blunt object. And then I wake up. So I didn't drive back to Haapajärvi today, and instead I spent the day sleeping.

When it comes to being ill, it's easy for me to follow the golden rule of sleeping and drinking a lot - after waking up briefly at 5.30 I went back to bed only to reaweken at 13.00. That 14 hours of sleep, straight. I had brunch and read some Clarke (The City and the Stars). Back to bed, for another 3 hours. TV, food, surfing, IRC, surfing, blogging. But enough about today.

Yesterday my youngest sister had her first communion. She was in it for the money, of course, but it still reminded me of why I haven't left the Lutheran church, at least not yet. I like the music and I think the ceremonies are beautiful, very solemn. We need more ceremonies. I partook of the communion, and to my surprise so did both my parents. We'd had a discussion revolving around spirituality, not organised religion per se, and it seems like we've all reconciled with the church in some way. I also liked the way people smiled when they were walking back from the altar. Part of it, I think, can be attributed to a Beavis-and-Buttheadesque "Cool, look at what I'm doing!" feeling, but it's not called a communion for nothing. Christian Spirituality is now way up on my upcoming trends list. You heard it here first!

The party afterwards was a drag, I had to run around too much to really be able to enjoy it. Also, pretending to be straight for your father's cousin, not a big hit with me anymore. Come to think of it, the nicer part was really the running around. I hate being dodgy, and boy was I on my toes the whole day. Had a good chat with José though about which Star Trek movie sucks the most. I think he's probably the oldest trek geek I know, which makes him an Authority.

The omens must've meant my mean flu.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com